By Mr T with thanks
Archaeologists in Bulgaria have found two medieval skeletons pierced through the chest with iron rods. Pagan peoples believed the rod would pin the dead into their graves and stop them from becoming vampires.
The discovery illustrates a pagan practice common in some villages up until a century ago, say historians. People deemed bad, had their hearts stabbed after death, for fear they would return to feast on humans’ blood.
Similar archaeological sites have also been unearthed in other Balkan countries.
Bulgaria is home to around 100 known “vampire skeleton” burials.
Bram Stoker who penned the amazing story of Count Dracula, much of which was centred round the English town of Witby in North Yorkshire.
Seaside visits were considered very healthy in Victorian times and many people would stay at Witby in the summer season. Stoker knew the town as he used to holiday there. The old buildings in Witby gave Stoker the base for the story.
Bram Stoker was fascinated by the occult and had long discussions with the expert of spiritualism Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, both of whom were very aware of fakery, as both had been the victim of Jewish control over what they published.
Between 1879 and 1898 Stoker was business manager for the famous Lyceum theatre and wrote many novels in this period; but none caught the publics imagination like the vampire story of count Dracula published on May 26 1897.
Stokers inspiration for the characters’ mannerisms and gestures was the famous actor/manager Henry Irving, whose sweeping, gentlemanly, dramatic way made him a natural for the part. Henry Irving was quite superstitious as many actors are, and always refused to play the part on stage.
Bram Stoker was very moved by a book he read from Witby library called; “Account of the principalities of Wallachia and Moldavia with political Observations relative to them”
written by William Wilkinson in 1820. Stoker discovered the name Dracula after abandoning several other names such as Count Wampyr. [in the Romanian language Drac meant dragon or devil].
The Rosenbach museum and library in Philadelphia contains many of the original notes for the story of Count Dracula, and one of the original 541 page Dracula manuscripts, which was deemed lost, was found in a barn in North Western Pennsylvania during the early 1980s. The original title would have been “The Undead“, with many hand written corrections to the manuscript.
Unfortunately it very nearly did not get published at all, due to arguments with the publisher over a Victorian-type political correctness – the novel mentions women’s rights, immigration and other issues. But Bram edited his name from Abraham so he would not be confused with a Jew, as Bram had experienced problems with Jews who ran the London theatres. Bram wanted to depict the Dracula character as a Jewish bloodsucker – the publisher flatly refused so it was rewritten.